EVS | Creativity with the little ones

2:30 PM Unknown 0 Comments



If one year ago, you told me that working with kids would be something natural in my daily basis, I would laugh at you. If you told me it would be with Polish children I would tell that you were crazy.
Never say never, Lídia, never say never!


Some of my responsibilities at the center are to help coordinate, with Ewa and João, about one hour a week of creativity workshops with children between the ages of 4 and 7.

We've made already 3 workshops.
As the weeks go by, I feel less and less a little fish out of the water and a little more comfortable in what it isn't at all my comfort zone.
 Note, a little ... that dealing with children has a lot to tell!


I will not lie, the first impact can be a little bit scary. 
It's impossible not to hyperventilate when you see a group of ten children that don't know you entering the door.It's difficult to predict how will be their reaction to our presence and a lot can go well but a lot can go wrong.

This is where Ewa's fundamental support comes in. Ewa helps us and gives us advises in the planning and during the activities, and she's also the person that makes our communication possible.
Although language is a barrier between us, it also ends up being what unites us, because we are both taking the first steps in a new language: we in Polish, they in English ... 
Be proud, I already know some colors and animals in Polish! And all thanks to these workshops and the games and activities. 
I do not know who gets more excited to see us give a few touches in Polish if us or them!

Memorizing names can be tricky, decorating names in polished is a challenge (mostly in the beginning) but challenge accepted!  And I dare to say that challenge accomplished!


Some of the activities that we did with children at workshops. In the first photo, for Valentine's Day, we made lovely owls. Beautiful some super funny storks. This week, it was the turn of the little fat penguins. Why? Because they are adorable! Do we need a better reason?

It was only three workshops of many to come, and I believe that when the number will get bigger I will have a bag full of stories to tell, and another one full of laughs!

Remember the games we used to play during afternoons at birthdays parties and school lunch breaks?
They're still funny!

0 comments: