9 things | About the day life in negative temperatures

11:54 AM Unknown 0 Comments


Yes, it's 9 ... it's not a round number, it's not boring and it's my favorite number!
I've always been a person that suffers from cold, but ever since I came to Poland I realized that the cold of Portugal is for pussies.
For those who are already used to it is easy, but for those who have never felt this cold in life, there are little things on the daily basis that change. 
For those who have never dealt with this reality, there are some tips, for those who already deal with it, you will feel familiar.

Let's start!

1- A breath of fresh air will never have the same meaning 

Yes, it'ss cold. Yeah, I'm sick of knowing it's cold. 
Even so, I always end up surprised and making mainstream comments about the weather...
I'm never prepared psychologically enough for the cold air that I take in the firsts few seconds that I dare to set foot outside the door. Yes, not yet ...

2- Socks, stockings, socks

I've always tended to have cold feet, so socks are never too much! 
Girl with the 3 pairs of socks? Right here!

3- Ice, you little bastard...

Whoever laughed seeing videos of people falling on the ice? Oh, right! 
Karma and ice don't forgive. You have to be very careful where you step in and it's really easy to fall. No, (still) didn't fall. Yes, it almost happened. And no, there are no videos of that! 
João: I'm not trying to give you ideas. Do not buy this war with me.

4- Jacket on, Jacket off (repeat)

The buildings are, fortunately, warm, even a chilly person as me walk comfortably in t-shirts at home. That's great right? Obvious. 
However, before you're going outside you need to: wear gloves, wear the cap, wear the sweater, wear the jacket. Then when you need to get inside: undress gloves, undress cap, undress sweater, undress jacket... Over and over again.
It's like a ritual that must be meticulously followed, in exactly that order.
After a few days we get used to it, but at first, it seems like we are the main character in the karate kid scene ... jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off...

~


5- Wear glasses

If you wear glasses you'll to have to do the ritual of the jacket on jacket off, with foggy glasses.
And just like that, you're a lost, blind and silly onion.

6- Cold hands, hot heart - Hot hands...

The temperature of hands reaches a point that is so cold that it begins to warm up, it's a painful and slow process and I bet there is a very simple and scientific explanation to why this happens. For me, the cold breaks my heart, and the hands start to get warmer, in the opposite direction of the popular saying. Makes sense? Silly, silly Lídia...

7-Snow, snow, snow

For those who had only seen and been once or twice in the snow, it's really magical to see snowing in the day-to-day. I've always enjoyed watching the rain fall, but seeing the snow is a thousand time more beautiful and relaxing. It's not so uncomfortable walking outside while it snows when it rains. 22 years avoiding umbrellas and still counting!


8- Drip in the nose

 Still from the series - transitions from the outside to inside: damn, it's inevitable...
when I go from a very cold place to a very hot one, always get my nose with mucus. Now, I'm always with a packet of tissues in the pockets and in the backpack.
(Yes, I'm really talking about snot, I know it's not pretty but everybody has it)

9- Coat and boots: the faithful best friends 

A good coat and boots are essential for this weather... I have several coats and several pairs of boots, but I always choose the same jacket and the same boots when I know the cold will tighten, even though I seem to be always dressed the same. 
It's when the cold tightens that one realizes which are the pieces that really worth, and sometimes quality is better quantity.

Now that I'm a pro dealing with the cold, temperatures will increase and will reach 12 degrees (positive) later this month ... Spring is already knocking and it's time to scratch from the winter bucket list the things that still I want to do while there's still snow.

0 comments: